Buy or Sell Standard GMA Wood Pallets
The Grocery Manufacturers Association (since rebranded as the Consumer Brands Association in 2020) established pallet specifications for the food transportation industry that also are used by the beverage industry as well as other manufacturers.
There are six sizes of GMA pallets common in different regions of the world and multiple grades that indicate the quality. More than 40% of pallets produced in the U.S. are GMA pallets. The standard GMA pallet in the United States is 48”x40” and also meets these requirements:
- A minimum load-bearing capacity of 2,500 pounds
- Four-way forklift entry with two notches on the side
- Top and bottom deck boards that are 5/8″ thick
- A 5 1/2″ x 40″ board on each end of the pallet top, and five 3 1/2″ x 40″ boards in the center
- A 5 1/2″ x 40″ board on each end of the pallet bottom, and three 3 1/2″ x 40″ boards between the notches
With extensive use, wood pallets can become dirty, worn and fall in disrepair. Pallets are regularly evaluated and assigned a grade, based on the condition of the pallet.
Tri County buys, sells, repairs and recycles GMA pallets (in grades AAA, AA, A, B1 and B) for manufacturers in Northeast Ohio, Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia in five grades. Prices for pallets are dependent on the assigned grade. Pallets that no longer meet the condition of one of these grades are recycled as mulch.
Tri County sorts 48×40 GMA pallets into five different grades. They are as follows:
| AAA Grade
| AA Grade
| A Grade
|| B1 Grade
| B Grade
Contact Tri County Pallet & Mulch for information about buying or selling your GMA wood pallets.